Business Licensing

Some businesses in Caledon require a licence. We licence adult entertainment facilities, tow trucks, taxi and limousine services, refreshment vehicles and donation boxes.

Use BizPal to help identify the permits and licences you need by all levels of government to operate your business.

Businesses requiring a licence

Restaurant Temporary Sidewalk Patios - downtown Bolton

If you would like to set up a temporary patio on the sidewalk adjacent to your restaurant business in downtown Bolton, you need to get a licence. Patio season is May 1 to October 31. To apply for a licence, click here.

Application Requirements:

  • Drawing indicating location on the site, dimensions, number of seats, layout etc (as per the Patio Guideline)
  • Certificate of Insurance naming Town and Region as other insured (min. $5M liability if serving alcohol) 
  • Proof of approval from AGCO if serving alcohol
  • $318.27 business license fee*
  • A pedestrian bypass/walkway is likely required to be located in the on-street parking stalls, therefore notification of parking stall use to neighboring property owners, and written permission from neighbouring business owners is required
  • Upon approval, enter into encroachment agreement with the Town (no additional cost)

Please review the Temporary Patio Guidelines to make sure you know all the requirements.

Patio Guideline 

We're here to help! Please contact Economic Development staff to discuss your application before you apply.

*2024 fee as per Fee By-law 2024-006

Restaurant Temporary Patios - private property

If you would like to set up a temporary patio adjacent to your restaurant business, you need to get a licence. Patio season is May 1 to October 31. To apply for a licence, click here.

 Tow trucks

There are a variety of different licences that you need to own and operate a tow truck company in Caledon. Tow truck licences expire annually on May 31. You will need to book an appointment to get a new tow truck licence. Call Regulatory Services to set up an appointment.

 Taxis and limousines

There are a variety of different taxi and limousine licences required to own and operate these services in Caledon. All taxi and limousine licences expire annually on October 31. Review the different licence requirements.

 Refreshment Vehicles

Do you own a food truck, ice-cream truck or other refreshment vehicle? You need to get a licence in order to own and operate the vehicle. Before applying for the licence, you need to get an inspection from the Region of Peel Health Department.

 Donation boxes

If you would like to set up a donation box, you need to get a licence. Donation box licences expire annually on February 28.

Additional information including licence fees available on the Town's licensing webpage.


BizPaL is a one-stop shop for licence and permit information from all levels of government (municipal, provincial and federal). BizPaL generates a customized list of permits and licences required depending on the business’s location, category and type of operations.

To access BizPaL go to

Restaurants / Food Premises

If you are opening a new food premises, you are required to notify Peel Public Health and have your floor plans approved

Need a food premises inspection? Submit the online request form.

Check out the Peel Public Health Food Safety Guide: What food operators need to know 

Additional resources for Food Operators: Checklist to pass inspection and more...

Peel Public Health Inspectors check that restaurants, banquet halls and daycares are operated and maintained safely, and meet the standards of the Ontario Food Premises Regulation

Questions? Contact Peel Public Health 905-799-7700 | 

Public Health Resources