Planning and Permitting

The Town of Caledon oversees many types of development, from minor variances to entire subdivisions.

Land use

Most types of development need to be reviewed to make sure they meet various guidelines, by-laws and plans, including our Official Plan and our Zoning By-law.

Official Plan

Caledon's Official Plan is a statement of principles, goals, objectives and policies intended to guide future land use, physical development and change and takes into account the social, economic and environment impact of growth and development. The plan contains policies that govern land use and provides the basis for preparing zoning and other by-laws.

Official Plan - Town of Caledon

Zoning By-law

The Zoning By-law is set by policies in the Town's Official Plan. The By-law divides the Town into zones, each for specific uses. The By-law regulates:

  • Land use
  • Building location on a property
  • The height, bulk, location, size, floor area, space and use of buildings and structures
  • Parking and loading facilities

Zoning By-law information

Preliminary meetings

Before submitting an application, please contact the Planning Division to discuss your new project. Once they have a better idea of your project, they may recommend an "Inquiry Meeting" to take an initial look at your plans, explain the process and identify any concerns that might need to be addressed.

This meeting is optional, although we recommend it!

You may contact Planning staff at: 905-584-2272 x. 7338 or

Development Application Information 

Building permits

Most construction or renovation projects require a building permit. Check out the Building and Renovation page for information to assist you.

Need assistance? Contact Building Services staff 905-584-2272 x. 2233 or

Region of Peel

The Region of Peel is responsible for, amongst other things, regional roads, water and waste water servicing and review all development applications. 

Peel Development Application Resources

Niagara Escarpment Plan Area

If your property is located within the Niagara Escarpment Plan area and you are changing the use on all or part of your property and/or doing a development project you may need a development permit from the Niagara Escarpment Commission (NEC).

The NEC provides guidance for applicants with their Technical Criteria for Preconsultation Meetings and Complete Applications.

Questions? Contact the NEC at: 905-877-5191 or

Restaurants / food premises

If you are opening a new restaurant or food premises in Peel, the Health Protection and Promotion Act of Ontario requires you to notify Peel Public Health at least 14 days before opening.

Whether new construction or making changes to your existing business, such as renovations involving construction, you will need to report these changes to Peel Public Health and submit your plans for review. You must notify them at least 14 days before starting construction.

Report a new business or changes to a business

More information for Food Operators is available on the Peel Public Health website.

Questions? Peel Public Health 905-799-7700 | 


A licence is required to have a temporary patio adjacent to your restaurant business.

Patios are permitted during the patio season of May 1 to October 31 and can be placed on either private property or on a sidewalk in Downtown Bolton. 

Apply for a Patio

Start a bed and breakfast

Bed and Breakfasts are popular throughout Caledon. Learn the requirements you need to turn your home into a B&B and start making extra income today.

Not sure where to start?

Contact Economic Development staff we're happy to assist.